Firstly, make sure you are getting a good nights sleep. For Adults, the recommended hours needed to sleep is 7-8hrs a day. This can depend on daily physical and mental activities, and existing health problems. But, it is a great place to start. Remember, you know your body and what it needs. The problem is that we just don’t listen to our bodies anymore. Having just one week of insufficient sleep can adversely affect our genes which can lead to how we react to stress, how our body’s immune system responds, inflammation in the body is increased & our overall health is compromised. Reducing sleep by just 90mins for just one night can reduce daytime alertness by up to 32% (American Sleep Disorders Association)
Drink a glass of water. Preferably with a fresh lemon squeezed into it. For such a simple drink, the list of lemon water benefits is impressive. Even if you’re not a big H2O drinker, you might find yourself reaching for a glass when you check out how awesome it is for your body and mind!
Aids in digestion & detoxification
Bumps up your Vitamin C, as our body doesn't make vitamin C on its own.
Lemons have antioxidants that rejuvenate the skin and heals the body
Regularly having lemon water in the morning has been known to help shift some excess weight
Boosts energy & mood
2. Never check your emails first thing in the morning. There is a great article here from the HuffPost to explain.
3. Exercise. Even if you just do a series of stretches. A series of short exercises will get your blood pumping early on, and put an end to any drowsiness. Yoga is good for your mind and body, and can easily be done at home.
4. Read. Taking a few minutes to read something inspiring or educational in the morning will put you in a good frame of mind before you’ve even left the house. Try to stay away from doom & gloom news. Find something uplifting, inspiring or funny. And definitely not your emails, this is to stimulate the creative juices not to overwhelm you already.
5. Sing in the shower. One of the easiest things on the list, singing in the shower is said to be seriously beneficial. This will get you in a good mood, and help you take on the day’s first challenges with a chirpy mindset. Though it may not go down well with your housemates, depending on your vocal talents …
6. Contemplation & Meditation. Or, as I like to call it - Contemplating your Belly Button. You don’t need to be sitting cross legged, chanting OM and clearing your mind totally. Sometimes it’s better to just sit and quietly go over what needs to be done that day. Visioning the tasks at hand helps to make things run a bit more smoothly up in the brain centre, the engine room of the body. Developing a morning meditation or contemplation practice can be a life-altering experience in the most positive way. Get 5 mins of meditation before you leave home or start work.
7. Set the days goals and priorities. You should give yourself a few targets in the morning so you know what you’re aiming to achieve every day. However, it’s important that these goals are realistic to motivate you to get cracking on with that to-do list. Every Monday morning set your goals for the rest of the week. Every morning for the rest of the week write down the goals and priorities that need to happen that day. Always start with the hardest task - or the task that you’re dreading the most. Procrastinating on those tasks just leaves them for tomorrow. Get them done and over with now so that you can keep moving forward.
8. SMILE. Think about the people and places that you love. Get that Oxytocin flowing!
Want an individual consultation? Book in with me now.
Sharne Tam ©
Business Development Mentor & Coach / Trainer / Writer / Workshops / Individual & Team Consultant / Soulpreneur
0475 391 530